Tuesday 28 January 2014

Happy New Year

Hello Cat's Army,

I hope 2014 is going great for you so far.

2013 was a very busy year and an exciting time for me, as I had the chance to bring my concept album to life. I couldn't have been more happy with how many people turned up to my gig at Clwb Ifor Bach, I certainly didn't expect a complete sell out with people queuing round the corner! With a cracking band Steve O Jones, Mitch Cassey, Lego Man and James Kennedy, the amazing Vulcan String Quartet who agreed to be painted like cyborgs and you, my Army of supporters, the night was bound to be a success. Thanks to those of you who joined me on my journey in your steam robot masks of metallic gold and silver created by the creative and talented Caitlin Twin Murphy and her family who have an eye for detail. It was such an experience for me to hear you all chanting the words back at me.

I then took it another step by creating a themed night at Porters, Dan Porter allowed me to take over his awesome venue to create my idea. This one was about bringing the characters to life a little more, so the idea was that everyone stepped back in time to the 1950s as soon as they walked through the door. This did require that everyone arrived in costume though so that you were all part of the story, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that you came through once again Cat's Army.
On arrival you were greeted by roller skating popcorn girls serving fabulous french cake created by the talented Laurian Veaudour of Cocorico Patisserie. As this was all about telling more of the story, I brought my angels with me, because you'll discover as you learn more about Nancy Neuron, my alter ego, her fabulous angels go with her everywhere. The beautiful Arielle Tye, Kylie Ann Smith, Teifi Emerald and Aniko Zoltai brought the mischievous angels to life, but you can't have a story without a narrator, so Dr Bernard Kane (the narrator on the actual album) did a wonderful job on the night. The little cinema (yes this place has its own cinema!) showcased my music video for 'One Day At A Time' and a showreel by Dayana Del Puerto, and popcorn was served as you entered.

Polly Homjakina took some wonderful photos from the evening which you can see here

Other things in 2013. I was selected as BBC Radio Wales Artist Of The Week! which meant that you could all hear 'One Day At A Time' on all the shows on Radio Wales for a whole week. I must admit, it was very exciting to here my music as I turned the radio on. I was also invited onto the lovely Louise Elliott's show, Mitch and Lego came along and we had a great time there playing 'One Day At A Time' and 'Call Of Distress' Live on air and an interview. You can see some photos here .
Following this I was added to the BBC Wales playlist! so you can still hear me.

Radio Cardiff invited me in for a session too, so thank you so much to them. I got to perform 3 songs, and I was lucky that James Kennedy came to accompany me on guitar and backing vocals. We had a great time! I'll be uploading both shows for you shortly.

In between all this were promotional campaigns, a Halloween gig at Ebbw Vale Institute, a Christmas gig at Gwdihw and actually completing the album (which isn't quite there yet)

I'm now very lucky to working with some more brilliant musicians Dorian Adkins on Drums who you would have seen play with me the second half of the year. He learned the songs at record speed and has been amazing. Matt Warr (Bass) and Rhys Jones (Drums) are learning the material as we speak. I'm also holding guitarist auditions this week!! Woop Woop!

If there's anyone out there interested in joining Cat Southall, then I'm putting together a pool of musicians, it's always hard with everyone working to make sure everyone's available to gig, so I thought this would be the best way.

Mitch Cassey is still on board on bass and Bv's and going along with any of my strange ideas, and has been amazing since day one of this crazy and colourful project, thanks Mitch!
and James Kennedy, what can I say.... I couldn't have done this without you! Always listening to me ideas, giving your advice and joining the band when you have enough going on with your own (Check them out here people)  Right this is turning into an Oscar's Speach. So 2014? what does the rest of this year have in store. Well...

The album is now in its last week of production. Producer Lee 'Noog' Lavis is probably tearing his hair out as we speak with all the last minute changes I'm throwing in! I went round there Sunday and he is doing an absolutely AMAZING job mixing this beast. Very very lucky to have such a patient producer and friend. The songs are sounding SO good and the interludes are coming together so we're both really excited. I've decided to write one more interlude, which I have to do today. Oh ohhhhhhhh :) then by Sunday the whole thing will be sent to the excellent Ed Woods for mastering. So.. 4 days left to get it all done. Phew!

I'll be posting a message about the album artwork, because I would LOVE for you to be involved, any artists, photographers to capture the story through images.

Check my Cat Southall website for any more updates about gigs and interesting happenings.

Love, Peace and Rock and Roll

Cat x



No comments: